Tuesday 2 December 2014

"Caldo Verde" - Portuguese traditional kale soup


     The idea of this soup came after a conversation with a friend. We both have concerns about a balanced diet and one which is in harmony with the season.
   In these cold days, I often prepare soups and when my friend mentioned a typical Portuguese kale soup – “Caldo Verde” - (which I love!) but made with cauliflower instead of the traditional potatoes, I was curious…
    During my usual visit to the Saturday market, cauliflower was the first item in my grocery shopping list and, the second, was kale, which I usually buy from Maria José - Quinta do Poial - Organic Farming.
    I do not know how my friend prepares her “Caldo Verde” but mine was creamy and very tasty. A delight! Even my daughter, who does not like cauliflower, approved it!

ingredients:
(serves 6)

500 g white cauliflower without leaves
250 gr kale finely chopped
1 medium onion
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp olive oil
6 cups vegetable broth (from kale)
olive oil to season
salt

Wash and finely chop kale leaves.
Cook in salted water. Reserve.
Steamed the cauliflower.
Chop the onion and brown in olive oil.
Add the garlic and brown as well.
Add the cauliflower to the onion and garlic. Wrap.
Add the 6 cups (the amount may vary slightly) of vegetable broth.
Process the soup until creamy.

Add the kale and rectify the seasoning.
Cook for 2 or 3 minutes.
Serve seasoned with olive oil and add some slices of good bread. I served it with our typical “pão de mafra”.

© veggie delicious food, December  2014

No comments:

Post a Comment